I was in Panama in Dec 2009 (1 month stay), May 2010 (2 weeks) and November 2011 (2 days). Since I usually fly with Copa airline, I always have layover in Panama City. This means that I get the opportunity to leave the airport and shop in Panama City or meet up with friends. I spent the best Christmas ever in Bocas del Toro, Panama in Dec 2009.
For Travel Tips, make sure to check out the Country Overview section (below the pictures).
For Blogs, click The Lay-Over Country
- Bocas del Toro: they have four different types of tours you can take, there is something for people that snorkel, scuba dive and surf as well……..do not skip the wizard beach – its the best
- Panama City: Panama Canal and Panama Vieja
- Lunas Castle:Free internet & wi-fi, free pancake breakfast, not a clean hostel, noisy -never quiet even at night, bar downstairs, movie room, chill areas, can be too many people because they have 12 or more dorm room with 5 bunk beds -do the math! In Casco Viejo area and you get discount at restaurant in the Casco Viejo area with your Lunas Castle wrist band, has a kitchen.
- Mamallena: Great place, close to Casco Viejo area and Via España. Free internet, wi-fi & pancake breakfast, TV, living room, balcony, 2 chill area s with hammocks. Nice owner with lovely, helpful staff, clean hostel, kitchen. Great place to meet people.
- Pensiona Corona:Not recommended for sole budget travelers, great for couples or groups because there is no dorm room, room cost between $25-$35, AC & TV in room, across the street from Mamallena, very clean & immaculate….
- Babum Hostel: Laid back staff, swimming pool with chill out area, TV room, kitchen, free internet, wi-fi & pancake breakfast.
Playa las lajas
- La Spiaza: $30 room is built with concrete, has a private bathroom, fan and looks nice, $20 room built with bamboo, nice, no fan, so heat, need flip-flop for shared bathroom, owners are Italians -make tasty pizzas
- Dos Palmas: Really lovely location, room is $26 has TV, private bathroom & ac….the restaurant has tasty food, beach view
- Isla Robinson: OK place, food is OK, dorm room is aiiright, no electricity after sun goes down, cnt have a shower without clothes because the ‘bathroom’ has no dopor & its built with bambum leaves.
- Isla Franklin: Concrete bathroom & shower, cleaner & smaller than Isla Robinsons, food OK, basketball & volleyball court, free snorkeling gear, rooms are nicer and the music starts at 7pm to 10.30pm but fun can last until whatever everyone goes to bed.
Bocas del Toro
- Hostel Heike: On the main street. great staffs, free wi-fi, internet & pancake breakfast, not so clean, great place to meet people, balcony and roof-top terrace with the view of the park, kitchen and very hot bathroom upstairs