My favorite country in Central America. I visited for the first time in Jan 2010 and I stayed for 5 weeks. I remember the country being very cheap, this allowed me to travel all over the country. It also allowed me to pause on traveling on a shoestring. My budget here was in the mid-range. I revisited briefly in October 2011 for 4 days. Leon remains my favorite city, followed by little corn.
For T ravel Tips, check out the Country Overview section (below the pictures)..
Metropolis Spanish School – own by a Nicaraguan Woman. They can organize homestays and dancing classes for you.
La Olla Quemada – really good live music,. My favorite class thus far
Others cool places to chill are ‘ViaVia hostel’ & ‘Taquezal’. ViaVia Hostel has a bar, hostel and restaurant
Leon: La Tortuga Booluda: Free internet, wi-fi & pancake breakfast, great staffs, clean hostel, kitchen, pool table, chill out area with hammocks. However its not close to the city center but closer to the clubs area and ‘La Olla QueMada’ club.
Granada: Bearded Monkey: No kitchen, free internet & wi-fi, hammock & courtyard chill area & bar.
- Santa Cruz: Casa Istiam: Great place, balcony with hammock & beach view, restaurant downstairs serve tasty foods, very pleasant staffs.
- Finca Magdalena: Great place, food is great too. Simply lovely.
San Juan del Sur:
- Casa Oro : Very clean hostel, TV room, small kitchen, free internet & wi-fi, small chill area in the courtyard with hammocks
- Pacha Mama: Bar & chill area in the backyard with hammocks, TV room, ping-pong table, kitchen, not so clean bathroom
Playa Popoyo: Hotel Surf: $5 per person, GREAT staffs, food is awesome too, clean, right in front of the beach -you can not ask for more.
Managua: Managua Backpackers Inn: Swimming pool, cozy living room with TV, clean hostel, kitchen, close to the big supermarket, awesome staff, free internet & wi-fi…i love this place
- Big Corn: Sweet Dreams: 2 minutes walk to the dork for boats to little corn, TV in room…nothing special about this place
- Little Corn: Cool Spot/Grace: Right at the beach, need flip-flop for the bathroom, nice place….